We are an engineering-led startup looking to expand our early team.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are a small, friendly startup team. We need engineers who are flexible and move quickly to make decisions and collaborate, and who are driven to make themselves, the team, and the product better.
We are looking for hard-working, product-focused generalists who love working on a variety of technical and product challenges. We want someone who has “strong opinions, loosely held” — ie. engineers who know that building software is primarily about trade-offs, and who are willing to change directions quickly given new information.
We want people who know that software engineering is not just about the code we write, but about the process by which we get there. You should value iteration and exploring the trade-offs of different solutions, and be able to explain the trade-offs to others. You should value both driving consensus as well as moving projects forward.
- Architect, build, and launch features in the application.
- Be responsible for your work from beginning to end.
- Communicate regularly with the team about your plans, progress, and any blockers.
- Balance building features with efficiency, performance, and scalability in mind.
- Maintain and expand high quality code base with automated tests and QA processes. Fix bugs proactively.
- Build an understanding of customer needs by participating in customer discussions and support.
- Work with and support teammates through code review, architectural discussions, and UX design.
- Reflect on and improve team and company processes. Actively plan your work in coordination with business goals and participate in Sprint Planning meetings every other week.
We have modern codebases with excellent test coverage and overall very low technical debt. We’re proud of our developer experience and are always looking to automate and improve our internal engineering processes.
The primary tech we currently use is:
- Ruby on Rails for our core backend API. MySQL and Redis as our primary databases.
- Go for network proxy components of our rendering infrastructure.
- Google Cloud Platform for all our hosting and cloud infrastructure needs.
- Buildkite for running tests and continuous integration. We also regularly use and build support for other CI platforms.
- Kubernetes for making deployments and container orchestration easy.
We value people who can dive in and learn quickly. Though we prefer that you have experience with some of the above technologies, it is not a strict requirement.
Technical skills are “necessary but not sufficient” — we strongly value empathy and communication with others on the team and with our customers. We interview and evaluate based on the following categories:
- Problem solving
- Code fluency
- Build trust
- Time is precious
- Have fun!
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We strongly value building a company where everyone feels safe, welcome, and supported to achieve their professional goals. We are striving to build an inclusive environment from the start, where every person is encouraged to bring their whole self to work. We want to make sure that our attitudes and processes support a team from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
WHY WORK FOR US?
We’re a fun and fast-moving engineering team who enjoy building us together. You’ll have a lot of autonomy and friendly co-workers who are happy to help and answer questions. You will have real influence on the product, working your projects from beginning to end, and plenty of resources like pair programming when stuck.
We offer great benefits as well:
- All full-time employees enjoy 100% coverage of health insurance premiums across our medical, dental and vision plan offerings, including coverage for dependents. We also have a 401k plan to help you save for retirement.
- Hardware and software: We make sure everyone has the best tools to get their job done. We're not dogmatic about editors, laptops, or whitespace, but how you pronounce .gif is definitely important.
- Growth and collaboration: We are a place for growing and sharing knowledge with each other. We're active in our industries and regularly give talks and contribute to open source communities. We will cover the cost for you to attend one work-related conference per year of your choosing. If you're invited to speak, we'll cover that too.
- Flexible environment: We work hard to foster a supportive and welcoming workplace. We want people to be happy, healthy, and have a positive work life balance. We trust each person to be self-directed and maintain their own time, and we offer flexible work schedules and have an open vacation policy.
MySQL, Ruby, UI/UX Design, Ember.js, Ruby on Rails
$130K – $150K and higher (DOE)
0.1% – 0.25%
San Jose, San Francisco CA
Phone: 866 816-1615 x 823