Since our inception in 2009, we have been a leading force in changing how location information enriches our real-world and digital lives. As a location intelligence company, we are comprised of two well-known consumer apps, as well as thriving media and enterprise products. Our B2B offerings include Places (for developers), Pinpoint and Attribution (for marketers), and Place Insights (for analysts, based on the world's largest foot traffic panel). With more than 200 people across our offices in New York, San Francisco, and in sales offices around the globe, we’re dedicated to our trailblazing mission—enriching consumer experiences and informing business decisions with location intelligence.
About our Engineering Team:
As a member of our engineering team, we want you to bring experience building real products from the ground up. We're passionate about tackling tough challenges in the location space and look for others who like to dive deep into code and help solve hard problems. You should be comfortable running with your own ideas and eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform. We use a variety of tools, technologies, and languages to build software (Scala, Thrift, MongoDB, Memcached, JS/jQuery, Kafka, Pants, Hadoop, MR, Spark) but experience with equivalent ones will do just fine.
Join us and help bring our feature ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard and into reality. Here are some high level areas you could help within our NY or SF office:
- Improve the accuracy and efficiency of one of the premier Place search APIs in existence. Our API powers Foursquare City Guide and Swarm as well as apps from Microsoft, Uber, Samsung, Twitter and more
- Leverage machine learning techniques to build systems which process and derive insights from billions of location data points every day
- Launch features that make cities easier to explore and continue to push the apps forward
- Build resilient services and tooling which drive all of our offline processing of petabytes of data
About the Infrastructure Team:
As a member of our Infrastructure team, you will use your strong background in distributed systems to help build the core online and offline platforms that drive the services for our Enterprise and Consumer facing products. We're passionate about tackling tough infrastructure challenges (especially scaling problems), and look for others who like to dive deep into the code to help solve hard problems.
Join us to help build and maintain the rock-solid core infrastructure upon on which we build our features. Here are some high level areas you could get involved in:
- Rebuild our proxy tier to support more advanced load-balancing algorithms
- Improve the speed with which we can reliably continuously deploy our backend services
- Build a cost-effective and seamless way to run pipelines across our on-premises Hadoop cluster and Amazon EMR.
- Use Kafka and RocksDB to build a highly available, low latency, low footprint key-value store that can be deployed alongside business logic services in our Aurora cluster.
- Build tools to analyze and optimize cpu, core, memory and disk utilization of services that run on our Aurora and Hadoop clusters.
-3+ years of proven industry experience working on the backend services or infrastructure for a large scale, highly distributed web site or web service
-Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with sound knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design
-Strong Java or other object-oriented programming experience or, even better, experience and/or interest in functional languages (we use Scala!)
-Familiarity with JVM profiling and GC tuning. Experience with tools like YourKit, JMH, statsd-jvm-profiler or equivalents a plus
-Experience designing and deploying large scale distributed systems, either serving online traffic or for offline computation. Experience in concurrency, multithreading and synchronization
-Comfortable in a small and fast-paced startup environment.
-Bachelors Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
We are proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
$130K – $170K and higher (DOE)
0.001% – 0.001%
San Jose, San Francisco CA
Phone: 866 816-1615 x 823